Saturday, June 7, 2008

Follow Your Desires...

This is for all of you out there that have dreams - or things you wish you would have done but now feel that you've missed out on...

I am almost 30 and have just picked up piano lessons. Some may say I'm too old to learn piano (because they're too afraid to try), but I don't feel that way. I took piano as a child but would get bored learning sheet music - I preferred to just sit at the piano and play by ear. Being an introverted, self-entertaining type, piano was something I could sit and spend hours figuring out and I didn't need any help doing it (which was great for me since I preferred to hang out by myself...haha!).

My grandmother (which passed away in '94) was a pianist and loved showing me how to play songs. Frequently while at her house - when I wasn't "falling down the stairs" - I would just sit at her piano and figure out childrens songs by ear - no sheet music. I would just play what I heard in my head. When my grandma noticed that I was figuring out these songs on my own she decided to get me piano lessons. I was soooo excited! But when the teacher would show up and make me do chord after chord I got bored. So after a few months (I don't remember how long) I quit - now I wish I would've stuck with it.

Regardless, I'm back!! This time I'm sticking with it! Even though I'm back to playing very basic songs, it's nice to finally be able to read "some" sheet music again and play even simple songs.

My hope is to play Comptine d'un autre ete by Yann Tiersen (He's AWESOME!!) within the next year or two...we'll see. I would love to hear someone play it - live - for me - I would most certainly melt. A video of the song is above this blog entry - if you care to hear (it's even better when you close your eyes and listen). Another great part about this song is that it's from my ALL-TIME favorite movie Amelie (www = well worth watching!!)...about a girl that see's the world from a different angle - which feels like me most of the time! A preview video is also blogged above - enjoy!

Best wishes on following your dreams/desires no matter what anyone else thinks! We only live once - so don't miss your opportunity to shine!

No comments: